Monday 16 March 2015

RiscPiC - a bit late, but here it is.

2014 saw the 20th anniversary of the launch of Acorn's RiscPC, and to celebrate the event I fired one up.  It still worked, and still didn't thrash its hard disc just because I asked it to open a menu, which I was able to do without moving the mouse pointer all the way to the top of the screen somewhere.  A subseqent conversation with other members of the Bristol RISCOS user group, in the pub, naturally, led to an idea - why not put a Raspberry Pi, running RISCOS into a case that looks like a little RiscPC?.  Both myself and Vince Hudd decided to tackle the project,  You can buy Vince's professionally 3d-printed designs at most RISCOS shows, and soon from riscpic.co.uk.  I opted to use my own, rather basic "glorified glue gun" type printer and try for something more like a scale model of a RiscPC.  Here's my first attempt, sat atop a real one.  The scale is 2:5


The case is in 2 parts plus lid and front flap. The front overhanging bit slots vertically into the main case.  It seemed easier to do it that way rather than printing the whole thing with huge amounds of support material to remove.  Sadly the fitting turned out to be not quite right and the sideways pressure has split the main case - you can see that on the left-hand side.  Also, although the front flap does open, it doesn't open all the way.  Inside is a Raspberry Pi, SATA-USB adaper, 120GB SSD, USB hub with added power from which the sockets have been removed and remounted on the front and rear (2 behind the front flap) and a power distribution circuit board.

I'm now on the 3rd prototype.  I'm not sure I can regard it as finished, but I'm unlikely now to make another.  This time I did do the box in one piece and had great fun (!) removing the support material. The front flap now opens fully,
Flap open.  Note the SD card slot on the side.
Flap closed



Here's what's inside.  It all works rather well.  Raspberry Pi (model B) is on the left, SSD on the right, power distribution circuit (with the fuseholder) at the top.  USB hub is above the Pi's network port.  Network cable goes in through a big hole in the case rear then has to bend rather sharply to get into the socket.  That's not ideal, but prevents the need for another big hole in the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment